Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I want a comfy nursery chair glider...

I was being really picky about a rocking chair/glider for the nursery. I had the following requirements:
  • Must be white...and yes I'm aware that is nuts. 
  • Not look like a traditional glider with wooden arms etc.
  • Have a removeable/washable cover (see item 1).
  • Must be a reasonable size..I didn't want it to take up the entire room.
After looking at what was available I discovered two things. 
  1. Chairs at most retailers are either junk (babies r us) or extremely expensive (pottery barn).
  2. To get what you want, you don't have to compromise, you just have to do it yourself.
So I went online and searched for 'upholstered chair to glider' tutorials.  Not only did I find a website that had a tutorial, but also that sold the base to make it swivel/glide/rock.  After much consideration we ended up going with the swivel glider instead of the rocker.  I was impartial, but Chris thought the swivel glider would be better, in the end he was right. 

Deciding on a chair was a no-brainer with an Ikea an hour away.  The Ektorp Jennylund fit the bill perfectly.  I was also able to get myself an extra cover for when the one on there needs a washing. 

Chris had to cut some wood pieces in order to fit the bottom on, but it wasn't too taxing and was well worth the few hours of labor he had to put into the project.

I now have exactly what I want...and Sofie loves it too.  What's  even better is that it was a gift from my parents for Christmas so it was 'free' to Chris and I!

No comments: